Saturday, January 7, 2012

What I like to call a Detox run


Today was my 2nd run after spending 2 fun filled days in New Orleans early this week, watching Michigan beat Va. Tech in the Sugar Bowl!! It was my first trip to Bourbon Street since living here in Alabama for 7 years now. It was fun but not sure when we will return. I usually would try to fit in a run while on trip, but not this time for a couple reasons. 1) Safety… enough said & 2) hand grenades and hurricanes…enough said!! But it was an amazing trip and an awesome win!!!
Today I had scheduled to run 20 miles. I knew going into to it would be challenging, a few days out of town and not my normal routine this week. I told myself running is more mental then anything and today I would find out how that would be! The alarm went off at 4:33am and I did not enjoy hearing that sound! But I got myself up and out of bed and ready to go! And out the door I went at 4:55am to meet the group at 5am.
This is yet another Never! Never did I think I would ever get up this early again, I did that through my swimming career and thought I was done with that! Well that was until a few months ago, when I was nudged to start running with the early group or as our running group has now named us the Vampires! But I will say it is nice getting up and being done with these long runs before 9am!
Getting back to the run, well the first 6 miles did not feel great but did not feel horrible. 1st water stop, I was thirsty but not too bad. So onto the next leg of the run, still feeling so so, that is when today was going to be a mental challenge more then a body challenge. The body can do this but my mind was just not fully into it. When we got to the next water stop I WAS thirsty, which is a bit abnormal for me! I guess I thought I had re-hydrated myself after New Orleans, but my body was telling me not enough!! I was then thirsty the rest of the time so I made the other 2 that were with me stop at the last water stop on the way back, which I normally don’t need to stop at. But it was the last leg of the run that was the worst today! I had 4.5 miles to go and was running out of running speed and places to go with out seeing my car (my savior today)! But thankfully I had someone with me to help push me through that last little bit other wise I would not have made 2 loops around the neighborhood or around the park! I would have b-lined straight to my car! I may not have run the 20miles I had planned by 18.8 is close enough, at least for this day!

It's an Ice Bath!!
After this run I was the sorest I have been since starting any of these long runs!! I came home and took some advil, but even after a couple hours I was still as sore as sore can be! So I did something I thought I would never do….an ice bath! At first I thought I had become crazy, but afterwards it was well worth the craziness!! I could walk again!!




No comments:

Post a Comment