Before I go into what I learned let me say that I really loved this whole event!! The expo was amazing!! It was huge, and even though I didn't spend a whole of time there, it had everything you ever wanted! The swag that came from the race was awesome! A great shirt (that fits!), the annual poster that goes with the race, & nice big cooler that will be nice to hold cold adult beverages! But it was the crowd support that was amazing! There were people everywhere and that was so awesome! It made me get a feel of what Chicago will be like. These people go all out for this race and that was so cool! The best water stops were on the long stretch of the highway....Michigan fans were handing out Gu nice to yell Go Blue! and right after them was the Parrot Head club..Fins Up! __/)__ And after crossing the the Finish Swine the after party was amazing. Even though I couldn't focus to much it was easy to navigate to where to go.
Would I do this race again? ---> Yes! Maybe only half of it.
Would I recommend anyone to do it?---> Yes!!
So what did I learn:
- Running a marathon is work! You can do all the training you want but come race day "it just doesn't happen"
- Seeing that I know live and run in the flat land of Michigan find a race that is not so hilly! The hills would been 'easier' had I still lived in Alabama where you can't get away from the hills.
- Maybe look for a spring marathon later in the spring, to allow for more time to get adjusted to the weather change. 5 days of above 40 degrees is not enough time for your body to get adjusted to warmer temps come race day!
- I learned how to hydrate during the race a whole lot better then my time in Detroit!
- I learned that oranges never tasted so good!
- I need to try something other then Gu, I couldn't suck down a whole packet.
- I need to keep my brain in it! It was brain that quit before my body....but I still finished and I was not going to Quit!!!
- And 12 hours later, the main thing I learned is that it is OK to not reach your goal, as long as you come away from it learning something!
No I did not reach my goal time, but I FINISHED my 3rd marathon!! Something I thought I would NEVER be able to say.
|Medal and Beer...well earned!|
I now have a big chip on my shoulder and ready to Dig Deep and Dream Big for the Chicago Marathon in October.
Coach Alex is well aware of this and I'm ready for what ever he throws at me!
So no the race didn't go as I would had liked, but I am at peace with it and ready to tackle the next one! I still have the drive to finish the next one, Stronger and better then ever!!