Monday, October 22, 2012

26.2 miles around Detroit!

Mine all Mine!!!
WOW!!! That is how I am starting this off! Detroit Marathon is in the books and I am still smiling about it. I would say I'm jumping up and down with joy but that is NOT happening today, walking is hard enough right now! So in my previous post I did not actually state my goals. This time I will. My goals were simple....
A- Finish and have fun!
B- Finish at 4:00
C- Finish at 4:15
D- Finish at 4:20

Official Results!! Acomplished Goal A and a mixture of B & C!
This was only my 2nd marathon, and I have learned a lot from this one. And I know I have so much more to learn as well! I am really proud of my accomplishment! I have so many people to thank for the support and encougement along the way to this point! My husband, for dealing with my crazy runner self! Stefanie for being there and giving my the courage to run my 1st marathon in March. The Helena Endurance Running Group, for being my 1st running group. Alex for being an awesome coach even from afar! The whole Resolute Running team!! The Village Runners for their support from 700 miles away. And my new running friends here in Michigan. Yes running is a solo sport, but you can not deny the fact that having support is also a huge part in running as well.



One of my friends and Resolute Running team mate came up from Alabama to run the Detroit Marathon! He was also looking to get a PR and he CRUSHED his goal time by 2mins! Why go 3:30 when you can go 3:28?! Vann Rocked it!!
Team RR prior to the Race!
As for the race....it was awesome! I felt great went right to plan just as it was planned out. Yes I was a little fast at times but what can you do. The only down fall was some stomach issues. I had a few bouts of vomit and dry heaves (after the vomit). This started around mile 17-18. When I hit Belle Islle which were miles 19-22 is when I had to focus and recoup some. I made sure to walk and drink a full cup of water and gatorade at each of the water stops. I think that had I not done that I would have had a much harder time finishing! When I got to mile 22-23 I felt better and I then dug as deep as I possible could and finished hard and strong! I hit the last water stop at 24 and ran and drank and then I just took off for the finish. Looking at my garmin I knew with 3 miles left I still could break 4:15 mark! I truely believe that had it not been for the stomach issues I would had been right on for that 4hour mark, but "it is what it is" and I will now have a new goal to achieve! I am still really proud of this time though, I am not second guessing anything I did yesterday! I know I gave it my all!!
I ran this race with one of my new friends here in Michigan. It was Chelsea's  1st marathon and she ROCKED it! I wish I could have finished with her, but with my own issues she did get a few minutes ahead of me. 
Chelsea & I Prior to the start!

Next year I think I will run the half and enjoy it, and take some pictures of all the amazing sights of Canada and America all in one race! 

All DONE!! 





Now to enjoy a little rest.......
& get back on the roads later this weekend for a fun Halloween run! I got my Dorothy costume all ready to go! I think I should be able to run 6miles this weekend (i hope!!) 
And of course start making my goals for 2013!


9 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is an amazing time, especially considering your improvement over your first one! I am so glad that I did not have to deal with any GI distress. Good for you for toughing it out despite the challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! I hope this was the one and only time this happens to me!

      Delete
  2. Great job!!! You should be so proud of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New reader!:)

    congrats, congrats, congrats!
    I was smiling so hard for you reading this. Simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo! It's supposed to be hard and excruciating and make you swear you'll never do it again. (of course, I'm talking about childbirth) but the pain fades and muscles repair but the accomplishment remains.

    ReplyDelete